Advertisement

Rugby brain injuries case: High Court judge allows case to continue


Lawyers acting for those organisations wanted cases involving 337 players in union and 153 in league to be struck out.

In a ruling on Friday, Senior Master Cook said that while he would have thrown out the claims, he decided “with some hesitation” that they should proceed to trial, subject to “conditions” to be decided at a further hearing.

He continued that there were “exceptional circumstances” in the case and that it had a “particular element of public importance going beyond the individual claims”.

He said: “This litigation has the potential to greatly impact the way in which one of our national sports is conducted at amateur and professional levels.

“I of course recognise the countervailing public interest that litigation should be conducted efficiently.”

He continued: “I recognise the delay and unnecessary expense caused to date, but this delay can be remedied going forward by tight case management and the unnecessary expense can be compensated in costs.”

In July it was announced that lawyer Richard Boardman, who had represented the claimants through Rylands Garth, would no longer be acting on the ex-players’ behalf.

KP Law has taken on the case, with Senior Master Cook stating: “The Court can take comfort in the fact that the claimants are no longer to be represented by Rylands Garth.

“Had Mr Boardman remained the solicitor conducting this litigation, I could not have had any confidence that future court orders would be complied with timeously or at all.”

But he said that the breaches of court orders were not caused by the players themselves, adding: “Given the vulnerability of many of these claimants, it might be said that they should not be punished for the sins of their legal representative.”

In 2024, lawyers for the players were told to disclose medical reports and documents, including neuropsychological assessments and brain scans for the players, to the governing bodies.

In July last year, the High Court issued further orders related to the disclosure of documents, meaning the claims could be thrown out if not followed.

The players then lost an appeal against the July 2025 order, with a High Court judge saying that it was issued after a “serious erosion of the confidence the court could safely place in the way the disclosure process had been conducted”.

But lawyers for the governing bodies said that the 2024 orders had still not been complied with in several cases, meaning that just shy of 500 cases should be dismissed before a trial.

William Audland KC, for the rugby league bodies, said in written submissions that non-compliance with court orders was “systemic and without good reason”.

But Susan Rodway KC, for the players, told the court in written submissions that the breaches were “neither serious nor significant” given the “context of this complex and documentarily voluminous litigation”.

She also said that the change in law firm meant there would be a “completely different regime going forward in which both the court and the defendants can have full confidence”.

England rugby union World Cup winners Steve Thompson, Mark Regan and Phil Vickery and former Wales internationals Colin Charvis, Gavin Henson, Ryan Jones, Lee Byrne and Alix Popham are among the high-profile former players involved in the case.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *